Thanks for checking out our recap from Sunday, March 26, 2017. Below you will find readings and songs from our services.
Worship Through Song
He Leadeth Me O Blessed Thought
Scripture Reading - Exodus 6:1-13
Worship Through Word
Neil, our Lead Pastor, preached a sermon on getting better at hard conversations. You can listen to it here on our church podcast or watch it below.
1. The Bible holds the Christian to a higher standard, v. 17
“You have heard that it was said to those of old. You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgement. But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment, whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire. So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brothers has something against you, leave your gift there before the alter and go. First, be reconciled to your brother and then come and offer your gift. Come to terms quickly with your accuser while you are going with him to court, lest your accuser hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you be put in prison. Truly, I say to you, you will never get out until you have paid the last penny.”
2. The Gospel is by nature non-conforming, v. 20-24
3 The Gospel is by nature clarifying, v. 25-32
How to have hard conversations…
a) speak the truth
b) be angry but also be intentional
c) don’t create space for the devil
d) talk to not just about
e) don’t grieve the Spirit
f) raise it up
g) reflect back
Questions to ask before having a hard conversation:
1. Am I clear on my biblical responsibility towards this person and this conversation?
2. Have I prayed about this, for this and for the other person?
3. What is my desired outcome?
4. Am I open to hearing as much as I am speaking?
5. Can we leave the conversations with a plan to move forward with our relationship?