Worship Through Word
Neil, our lead pastor, preached a sermon yesterday titled "Why God Came Into The World And Why It Matters."
You can listen to his sermon here on our church podcast, or watch it below.
1.God comes at us in ways we recognize, v. 1
-Four things about the people John is writing to:
- Greeks believed that the universe was governed by this “order of nature” they called the Logos/Word.
- A well lived live was defined as a life that conformed to this rational and moral order.
- Life was about contemplating this order and trying to discern what it was all about. Lots of thinking, talking and discussion.
- One of the reasons they put so much energy into contemplating this Logos is b/c they also thought of God as detached from the world regarding it’s struggles and fears so figuring this all out was up to them.
- The progression of the incarnation:
- The Word existed.
- The Word was with God.
- The Word was God.
2. God is most recognizable in Jesus, v. 2
“This was why the Jews were seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.” -John 5:18
3. All of humanity is morally responsible to God, v. 3
4. God came to be received, v. 4–13
5. It is the nature of God to reveal Himself, v. 14–18