Sermons & Notes
1. Gospel is conceptual, v. 11–15
b) concentric learning
c) competency based development
2. Gospel is directional, v. 16–18
3. Gospel is clarifying, v. 19–30
a) “you worship what you do not know”
b) “will worship the Father in spirit and truth”
c) “for the Father is seeking such people to worship him”
1. No one out grows the Gospel and no one out sins the Gospel.
2. God doesn’t take his cues on how to treat you from the way people treat you, v. 4
Two shaping questions to consider:
a) What do you know that God doesn’t know?
b) What does God know that you don’t know?
Here are a few things that God knows:
a) God cannot be surprised by anything about you.
b) Every sin you’ve ever committed and will commit were paid for on the Cross.
c) God’s heart towards you is unchangeable.
d) It’s never too late.
3. Knowing the right things changes every thing, v. 10
Two things Jesus points to:
a) the gift of God
b) who it is that asks you for a drink?
1. Identify yourself with Jesus, v. 22–24
2. Know yourself, v. 25–30
a) know your smallness
b) know your role
c) know your joy
3. Believe things that are consequential, v. 31–36
Two things for the believer:
a) a believer has a life that is ruled by eternity
b) belief manifests itself in obedience
Two things for the unbeliever:
a) you will never know life as it could be.
b) the wrath of God is still on you.
The wrath of God is a reference to the settled and active opposition of God’s holy nature to everything that is evil.
1. Leverage everything against the Gospel, v. 1–3
2. Be led by the Spirit, v.3
3. Think rightly about God, v. 6
• “over all”
• “through all”
• “in all”
-1 Corinthians 6:18–20
4. Exercise your gift, v. 7
5. High priority on Scripture, v. 8
-2 Timothy 3:16–17
6. Let’s grow, v. 11–15
• "unity of the faith"
• "knowledge of the Son of God"
7. Let’s each do our part, v. 16
• "every joint"
• "when each part is working properly"
• "makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love”
1 Peter 1:6–9
1. THERE IS REJOICING, v. 6
2. THERE IS SUFFERING, v. 6
The prepositions of suffering...
a) according to the foreknowledge of God the Father
b) in the sanctification of the Spirit
c) for obedience to Jesus Christ
3. THERE WILL BE A RECOGNITION, v. 7
“May be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.”
4. THERE IS SOMETHING TO DO IN THE MEANTIME, v. 8
a) you love him
b) you believe in him
c) rejoice with joy
1. Honesty: What lies am I telling and what lies am I believing?
2. Obedience: Am I consistently surrendering my life to the truths of the Gospel?
3. Service: Am I finding ways to serve others or am I serving myself?
4. Gratitude: Does my gratitude exceed my expectations?
5. Repentance: As an act of worship am I turning away from sin?