1. Do what God says, v. 26
“I believe Christians often perceive obedience to God as some test designed just to see if we’re really committed to Him. But what if it’s designed as God’s way of giving us what’s best for us?”-Craig Groeschel
2. Never assume people are Christians, v. 27-28
3. Walk in the Spirit, v. 29
“We serve a speaking God who talks to his people throughout the Bible. We are sons and daughters of a loving Father, who wants relationship with his children. We are the bride of Christ, and husbands and wives talk to each other. We aren’t employed as slaves or servants but welcomed as friends, and friends talk to each other. We are the sheep of our great shepherd, and sheep know their Master’s voice. We are a body in which people prophesy, speak words of wisdom and knowledge, and use other spiritual gifts to edify each other. We may get ourselves into muddle and silliness sometimes, but as Christians, we are those who hear the voice of God.”-Andrew Wilson
Two ways we confirm God’s leading…
- We check what we’re hearing against what the Holy Spirit has revealed in Scripture.
- We can check it against what we know of Jesus.
“Long ago, at many time and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power.”-Hebrews 1:1-3
4. Ask and expect good questions, v. 30-34
5. Be Gospel fluent, v. 35
“A person is gospel fluent when the gospel becomes their “mother tongue.” They see the world through that filter, they hear the world through that filter, and they know how to speak the truths of the gospel—the truths of Jesus—into the everyday stuff of life.”-Jeff Vanderstelt
Notice two things…
- it’s good news
- it’s about Jesus
- Are you currently living in disobedience to God in any area of your life?
- How often do you think about the Holy Spirit?
- Who are you paralleling these days?
- What is the best question you’ve been asked lately?
- Would you consider yourself Gospel fluent?
- What will you do as a result of what you heard this morning?