“In the way of faith we do not escape because it is too much for us; we plunge into it because we are commanded and equipped. It is not our feelings that determine our level of participation in life, nor our experience that qualifies us for what we will do and be; it is what God decides about us. God does not send us into the dangerous and exacting life of faith because we are qualified; he chooses us in order to qualify us for what he wants us to be and do.”Eugene Peterson, Run With The Horses
1. What is your legacy? Your legacy is a summary of who you are and how you will be remembered.
2. What do you fear? v, 6-7
3. Who are you jealous of?, v. 8-11
- Jealousy is a form of hatred built upon insecurity.
- Jealous is rooted in comparison and comparison does two things:
- a) it kills community
- b) it justifies sin
Learn to ask this question, “What is really the issue and who is my issue with?”
4. Who do you pay attention to?, v. 12
Conclusions about attention…
- a) whatever you pay attention to- or not- has a huge effect on how you see the world.
- b) how you see the world determines how you feel about it
- c) what you feel determines your level of hope
“Hope structures your life in anticipation of the future and influences how you feel in the present.Mary Lamia
5. Does your life introduce people to God?, v. 13-15
v. 15- “And who is the god who will be able to deliver you out of my hands?”
- not obligated