Unless we learn to see though all that is happening around us and see God as sovereign over it all we will lose the hope that is ours in the Gospel and because of God.
1. God directs the course of human history because He already knows it, v. 1-8
“Open Theism is the thesis that, because God loves us and desires that we freely choose to reciprocate His love, He has made His knowledge of, and plans for, the future conditional upon our actions. Though omniscient, God does not know what we will freely do in the future. Though omnipotent, He has chosen to invite us to freely collaborate with Him in governing and developing His creation, thereby also allowing us the freedom to thwart His hopes for us. While Open Theists affirm that God knows all the truths that can be known, they claim that there simply are not yet truths about what will occur in the “open,” undetermined future. Alternatively, there are such contingent truths, but these truths cannot be known by anyone, including God.”-Encyclopedia of Philosophy
2. Sin has consequences for everybody…including God’s people, v. 9-14
v. 12- “because of transgression”
3. Understanding brings perspective, v. 15-19
4. Consistent sin pushes grace to discipline, v. 20-23
How do I know I’m being disciplined by God?
- I immediately think of my sin
- I am encouraged that this is happening
- My heart is turned back towards God
5. God is always at war and work in the world, v. 24-26
v. 24- “but not by his own power”
v. 26- “but by no human hand”
- burned Scripture and forbid any Jew to possess a copy of Scripture
- sacrificed a pig on the altar
- killed thousands of Jews
- built an altar to Zeus in the temple and allowed scarifies to be made
- issued a decree that all were to become a single people, each renouncing his particular customs that made them distinct
- overthrew the temple and did away with daily sacrifices
6. We are to be about the King’s business, v. 27
- How does this affect your view of the Bible?
- Is there anything you wish you understood more about God, the Bible and our world today?
- In what ways will this morning affect the way you think about sin in general and your sin specifically?
- Have you ever felt disciplined by God and what came of it?
- What is the King’s business for you this week?