1. God existed before anything was made, v. 1
Three possibilities for anything that exists…
a) it is self-created
b) it is eternal
c) it is created by something that is eternal
Two questions everyone has to answer:
a) creation- how did everything you see get here?
b) coherence- what holds it all together?
2. Creation is communication, v. 3
The progression of God’s communication to humanity:
- creation- Romans 1:18-20
- Son- Jesus Christ- Hebrews 1:1-4
“For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.”
“Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs.”
3. Creation obligates everything created to God
4. God created everything good, v. 31
5. Not all things are created equal, v. 26-31
Two things that distinguish the creation of human beings from everything else that was created…
we are the only thing created in God’s image
we are the only thing given dominion over everything
1. Where do you have to be in creation to be reminded of God?
2. How do you answer the two questions of creation and coherence?
3. What does it tell you about God that he has always chosen to communicate with us?
4. Do you feel naive or hopeful when you hear that God created everything good?
5. Are you comfortable being God’s representative in the world who has been given dominion?
6. What did you hear today that you will want to think about more this week?