Fear Is Really Pervasive
- Foundational truths about fear:
- Fear and worry run deep in all of us
- Fear and worry have meaning.
- Fear and worry reveal us.
1. Our emotions are intended by God to put us into motion, v. 37-38
“Fear is a God-given emotion when our mind alerts us to danger, real or perceived. Anxiety is what we feel when our body is responding to the emotion of fear. Worry is the thought process that mulls over and gives power to the object of our fear.” -Tim Allchin -Genesis 3:10
2. Fear causes us to doubt God’s care for us, v. 38
3. Fear is short-sighted, v. 39
Q: What is your only comfort in life and in death?
A: That I am not my own, but belong—body and soul, in life and in death—to my faithful Savior, Jesus Christ. He has fully paid for all my sins with his precious blood, and has set me free from the power of the devil. He also watches over me in such a way that not a hair can fall from my head without the will of my Father in heaven; in fact, all things must work together for my salvation. Because I belong to him, Christ, by his Holy Spirit, assures me of eternal life and makes me wholeheartedly willing and ready from now on to live for him.
4. Fear is intended to lead us to the proper fear, v. 41
- When you feel fear do you move towards God or away?
- What is happening when you feel cared for by God?
- What questions is your fear asking these days?
- What is God introducing you to?