1. Everything spiritual seeks a physical medium/means by which to express itself.
2. The goal is not denial but doubt.
The liar seeks to sow doubt about three things…
a) doubt about God’s word- “Did God actually say…”
b) doubt about sin’s consequence- “You will not surely die.”
c) doubt about God’s motive- “For God knows…”
3. Adam & Eve are mutually responsible.
Where It All Went Wrong…
1. God mercifully designed the world to be a place of consequence
“All human sin seems so much worse in its consequences than in its intentions.”
— Reinhold Niebuhr
2. God designed us for submission not autonomy, v. 6-7
3. God designed humanity to know when they have sinned, v. 8-11
Here are the questions
a) Where are you?- proximity
b) Who told you that you were naked?- identity
c) Have you eaten of the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?-culpability
- Do you find more happiness in God’s glory or your own?
- Can you still feel when you sin? If so, what does it feel like?
- Do you live in your definition of freedom or God’s?
- What is the most helpful question God could ask you right now?;
- Are there any desires in you currently that concern you or if someone knew it would concern them?