1. God is a God of restoration, v. 1-2
2. God will do it again, v. 3-4
“Lord, I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, Lord. Repeat them in our day, in our time make them known; in wrath remember mercy.”
3. We won’t always have to trust ourselves, v. 5
4. God’s solution to the problem is God, v. 6
“When the house of David was told, “Syria is in league with Ephraim,” the heart of Ahaz and the heart of his people shook as the trees of the forest shake before the wind.”
“Again the Lord spoke to Ahaz: “Ask a sign of the Lord your God; let it be deep as Sheol or high as heaven.” But Ahaz said, “I will not ask, and I will not put the Lord to the test.” And he said, “Hear then, O house of David! Is it too little for you to weary men, that you weary my God also? Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.”
“Be broken, you peoples, and be shattered; give ear, all you far countries; strap on your armor and be shattered; strap on your armor and be shattered.
Take counsel together, but it will come to nothing; speak a word, but it will not stand, for God is with us.”
a. this is what he is going to be responsible for- “the government shall be upon his shoulder”
b. this is what he is like- “Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace”
c. this is how consequential he will be- “Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end.”
5. All of this depends on God, v. 7
Four things about the zeal of the Lord…
- Zeal is a fierce allegiance that expresses itself in a jealous affection.
- God is not jealous of you but for you
- Godly jealousy is not insecurity or idolatry but priority.
- Zeal is the kind of concern for a person that desires an exclusive place in that persons affections.
If you were to ask God for a sign today, what would you ask for?
What is something God did in the Bible that you would like to see him do today?
What problem would you eradicate if you had $778B dollars?
Is there any area of your life that has not been brought under the ever expanding dominion of King Jesus?
What is one thing you are absolutely sure of when it comes to God?
How does it inform the way you relate to God to know that he is jealous for you?