Return to Design: Work and Rest
1) God is a Worker v. 1
2) God Designed You as a Worker
1 Thess 4:11
5 practical reasons God gave the gift of work:
- To serve people
- To meet our own needs
- To meet our families needs
- Earn money to help others
- To love God
Your Work Matters to God, Sherman and Hendricks
3) God is a Rester v.2
Rest = to cease from
God’s rest is deep pleasure and satisfaction in what he had made.
4) God Designed You as a Rester v.3
Sleeping says, “The God who made the world, rules the world, and I trust Him to do it better than me.”
“You won’t lose anything by resting that you need to keep. You won’t gain anything by overworking that you won’t lose one day.”–Adam Mabry, The Art of Rest
5) Enter the True Rest
St. Augustine, “Our hearts are restless till they find their rest in Thee.”
- Are you experiencing work as more of a blessing or a curse?
- How do you feel when rest is forced on you?
- What kind of work do you experience as renewal?
- What is the state of your sleeping practice?
- When you refuse to rest as God designed, is self-sufficiency or self-rule dominating you?
- Do you most often view yourself working for man or for the Lord?
- What do you need to begin taking deep pleasure in?