Job Category/ FLSA Status: Full-time/Pastoral/Exempt
Accountability: Executive Pastor/Leader Pastor and Elders
Authority: Ministry Staff and Lay Volunteers
The job in summary is to oversee the theological education of the congregation. The Teaching Pastor oversees and provides faith-based teaching for the church and provides leadership to the church’s Mission Team. As a Teaching Pastor, responsibilities include selecting and approving (along with the Spiritual Formation Pastor) teaching materials for Bible studies. This position would also be required to perform the majority of the preaching when the Lead Pastor is not in the pulpit. This position may also be required to meet various other administrative and ministry needs, as directed by the Executive Pastor and/or Elders.
- Assess the needs and interests of the adults in the church and identify opportunities for engagement.
- Facilitate the spiritual growth and of individuals and the church body as a whole through ministry development for adults and engage with other age based ministries to support spiritual formation integration which is attractional and biblical.
- Lead and shepherd staff and volunteer leaders and ministry teams in the areas of mid-week studies and other ministries as assigned.
- Provide pastoral care to the people of the church including counseling, hospital visits, and other needs.
- Develop annual ministry plans, including goals and objectives for the ministry, consistent with the annual plan and ministry goals and objectives of the church. This may be done in conjunction with the Spiritual Formation Pastor as it related to Christian Education plan.
- Should be concerned for the quality of all teaching happening at GPBC but not directly responsible for all of it.
- Ultimately responsible for ensuring that GPBC faithfully communicates the truth of God’s Word through Bible-based preaching and teaching
- Recruit and develop members of the Missions Leadership Team.
- Meet with the Missions Team regularly.
- With the input of the Missions Team, develop a missions ministry that engages our people with local, national and international partnerships.
- Provides oversight, support, assistance, and shepherding of ESL ministry including but not limited to: supervision of ESL Admin, care and guidance of lead volunteers and ministry coordinators and serve as a staff and Elder liaison.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports and submit to church leadership and Elders.
- Attend ministry staff meetings and retreats as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Be committed to the pursuit of holiness and love through Christian living based on the principles found in the Bible.
- Possess a proven track record of effective teaching, preaching, and team development.
- Be in complete agreement with the doctrinal position of the church and able to sign its statement of beliefs without reservation and embrace the mission, vision, values and DNA of the church.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in a related Christian ministry discipline strongly preferred and five to seven years of progressive leadership and ministry experience.
Skills/Knowledge needed to perform job:
- Ability to provide discipleship counseling to adults.
- Ability to develop strategic and operational plans and effectively implement those plans.
- Ability to clearly articulate a position and influence the decision of leaders, staff and volunteers.
- Proven organizational and leadership skills.
- Ability to build consensus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to analyze information and situations to identify potential problems and solve complex problems using practical, analytical and intuitive judgment.
Statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, this job description does not establish a contract for employment and is subject to change at the discretion of Grand Parkway Baptist Church.
To request more information or to discuss this position with our Executive Pastor, click here.